If you are going through a child custody battle, you may want to consult with a child custody lawyer Collin County TX residents trust. It can be a complicated process and you don’t want to go through that on your own. At Scroggins Legal, we can guide you through this emotional ordeal and make sure your rights are protected. With a skilled lawyer by your side, you can have peace of mind.
How Child Custody Decisions Are Made
As a child custody lawyer in Collin County TX can attest, judges consider many different factors when deciding child custody cases, such as:
• Each parent’s living situation: In many cases, a judge may award custody to the parent who stays in the family home because it provides stability. The child can stay at the same school and be around familiar surroundings.
• Child’s preference: If a child is older than 12, a judge may consider that child’s preference of who he or she wants to live with.
• Age of children: A judge may also take a child’s age into account, as a child custody lawyer Collin County TX clients respect can confirm. In general, if a child is very young, the judge may award custody to the mother because she is nurturing.
• Each parent’s relationship with the child: When making a custody decision, a judge may also look at each parent’s relationship with the child before the divorce. If one parent was not very involved in the child’s life before, it is unlikely that a judge will give that parent custody.
• Abuse: If there is proof that a parent abused a child, a judge may likely limit that parent’s involvement.
Types of Child Custody Arrangements
The goal of custody arrangements is to find a safe and schedule for the children to allow them to grow up in the best environment they can. Custody arrangements can be settled in numerous different ways as seen fit by the judge.
- Physical Custody — Physical custody is when a parent is granted permission to have the child live with them in their home. There is both joint and sole physical custody which pertains to the schedule of the child’s living arrangements. Joint physical custody is often awarded when the parents live close enough together that the child can remain in the same school. Sole physical custody is more common when parents live farther apart. This allows for one parent to have visitation rights while the child lives with the other, or for the child to alternate where they live on weekends. A child custody lawyer Collin County TX relies on can explain the intricacies of child custody law with an appointment scheduled today.
- Legal Custody — Legal custody, which can also be a sole or joint arrangement, covers decisions about the child’s upbringing. The parent with legal custody will have to make decisions concerning religious upbringing, school and medical decisions. There is also joint legal custody where parents will have to work together to make these decisions. If one parent takes away decision powers from the other, they can be taken to court to receive enforcement from the judge on their joint custody order. A child custody lawyer in Collin County TX will have experience and expertise in their area of law and will be able to help you explore you options when it comes to legal custody.
- Joint Custody — As a child custody lawyer Collin County TX relies on may tell you, one of the most common custody arrangements is joint custody. An arrangement between the two parents will be agreed upon based on the schedules of both parents and children as well as any specific needs of the child. The agreement will then be brought to the judge to be ratified. Often parents who live close together will alternate weeks or weekends so that the children can remain at the same school with a consistent schedule. Another common schedule is for children to spend the school week with a parent in the childhood home so that they can keep emotions attached to the family home and then spend weekends at the home of the other parent. A child custody lawyer Collins County TX trusts can advise you on how to best settle a scheduling arrangement to fit the needs of both you and your child.
- Sole Custody — A sole custody arrangement is when one parent is awarded full custody of the child. This is ruled when one of the parents is deemed unfit, often in the case of drug abuse or financial issues. There is a rise in the inclusion of visitation rights for the other parent even when sole custody is agreed upon which is something to be aware of. The pros and cons of sole custody can be explained to you by a child custody lawyer Collins County TX trust.
Benefits of Hiring a Child Custody Lawyer
During a child custody battle, it may be in your best interest to work with a child custody lawyer Collin County TX residents count on. Here are some of the benefits you may receive from hiring legal representation:
• Familiarity with family law: An experienced Collin County child custody lawyer has handled many child custody cases in the past and is prepared to tackle any issues that arise.
• Reduced stress: Going through a child custody battle can be very time-consuming and stressful. If you hire a child custody lawyer, he or she can do all of the legwork so that you can relax and take care of yourself.
• Confidence in the courtroom: If you have to go to court, a child custody lawyer Collin County TX residents depend on may know how to present your case effectively to the judge. He or she may use evidence to show the judge why you should be granted custody.
• Communicate with ex-spouse: If you and your ex-spouse are angry with each other, communicating during a child custody battle can be challenging. If you have a child custody lawyer by your side, he or she can speak to your ex-spouse on your behalf.
Custody battles can be tedious and lengthy. Allow a child custody lawyer Collin County TX believes in to help bring you peace of mind while fighting for your goals. The law surrounding child custody is very intricate and it is important for you to have a full understanding of your legal rights. No child’s custody should be left in the hands of an inexperienced lawyer. A Collin County child custody lawyer may have years of practice and experience and will passionately fight for you. Do not wait to retain legal representation. If you are searching for a child custody lawyer Collin County TX offers, contact Scroggins Legal at 469-626-5220.